Parish Council

Parish Council minutes February 2007


Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council

held in the Epworth Hall, King’s Somborne

commencing at 7.00pm on Monday 5 February 2007

Present: Cllr D Bidwell (Chairman) Cllr R Bevan Cllr R Dyke Cllr S Geary-Harwood Cllr R Lane Cllr G Pearson Cllr D Room

In Attendance: Mr P J Storey (Clerk to King’s Somborne Parish Council)

Public Session: The Footpath and Tree Wardens present for part of the meeting.

1. Announcements by the Chairman

1.1 The Chairman reminded those present of the forthcoming local elections and hoped all Members would stand for re-election. He also invited any not standing to inform him accordingly.

2. Reports from the Tree Warden, Footpath Warden and others

2.1 The Footpath Warden commented that 46 people had enjoyed the recent walk and that he had now planned the walks for the next six months. He also briefed that Hampshire County Council had established a working group to improve countryside access and a rights of way survey to identify paths used and where improved access would be of benefit (see para 11)

2.2 The Tree Warden thanked those who had helped plant the new trees around the Village, noting that one on the John O’Gaunt field had already been vandalised but a repair had been attempted. He continued by urging volunteers to water the trees during the dry weather and stating his intention to produce a central record of trees of a noteworthy nature for future reference; Cllr Pearson agreed to attempt to obtain information on tree preservation orders as a first step . Mr Matthews would look at an Elder tree overhanging part of Church Road and advise on any action appropriate.

Action: Cllr Pearson

3. Apologies

3.1 Apologies were received from Cllr Gannaway (work), Cllr Harwood (work) and Cllr Pidgeon (unwell).

4. To approve the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 8 January 2007

4.1 Proposed Cllr Bidwell, Seconded Cllr Bevan, RESOLVED unanimously that the minutes of the meeting held on 8 January 2007, amended to delete the action placed upon Cllr Dyke at para 15.1 to produce an article for The Gauntlet, be approved.

5. To consider any Matters Arising from those Minutes

5.1 Kissing gate. Cllr Geary-Harwood would liaise with the landowner on erecting the kissing gate in lieu of the stile at the entry to the field behind Manor Farm House.

Action: Cllr Geary-Harwood

21.7 Romsey Road speed restriction. HCC had acknowledged the Clerk’s letter citing Members’ wish to see a 20mph speed limit imposed on the stretch of road outside the School and had stated that it was planned to introduce a voluntary restriction of 20mph under the slogan ‘Twenty is plenty’ but not formally reduce the limit.

6. Declarations of Interest

6.1 Cllr Bidwell declared an interest in a planning application relating to 4 Nutcher’s Drove and took no part in the discussion.

7. To consider Correspondence Received

7.1 Details of correspondence received since the last meeting had been circulated with the agenda; the actual correspondence was available at the meeting for Members to peruse, as required. The Clerk drew attention to correspondence received since circulation of the meeting papers.

7.2 Cllr Bidwell would attend the ‘Improving Accessibility in Hampshire’ conference on 21 March.

7.3 HCC had responded to Cllr Pearson’s letter regarding the application of vehicle weight restrictions on Winchester Road and verge marker installation by stating that the most recent survey result had shown insufficient usage by heavy lorries of this road rendering any restriction difficult to justify. However, it was confirmed that verge markers would be installed to prevent encroachment onto the grass verges.

8. Report on Planning Applications Considered

8.1 The following responses had been made on recent planning applications received: * 07/00136/FULLS – 4 Nutchers Drove – erection of replacement dwelling – supported

* 06/03539/FULLS – The White House, Winchester Road – erection of 2m high brick wall to western boundary – supported

* 07/00262/LBWS – Henley House, Winchester Road – replacement of length of guttering and internal works – supported

* 07/00131/Trees – Briar Cottage, Winchester Road – prune Walnut, Apple and Holly trees – no objection

* 07/00202/Trees – 9 Riverside Green – prune 3 Silver Birch – no objection 8.2 Members confirmed their approval of tree works applications continuing to be dealt with by the Tree Warden and Clerk.

9. RFO’s Report and Budget Monitoring

9.1 An analysis of budget against actual spend to date, together with a forecast out-turn had been circulated with the agenda papers. The RFO gave a verbal presentation on the Council’s financial state of affairs at the end of the tenth month into the financial year when 76% of the annual budget had been expended to date. The combined bank balances stood at £44622.

9.2 Proposed Clr Bidwell, Seconded Cllr Bevan, RESOLVED unanimously that the RFO’s report be accepted.

10. Payment of Accounts

10.1 Proposed Cllr Dyke, Seconded Cllr Bevan, RESOLVED unanimously that the following accounts be paid:

To For Net VAT Gross Chq No

Mr P Storey Salary/expenses 421.41 421.41 1289
HMRC Tax 251.01 251.01 1290
BPC Broadband 15.00 15.00 1291
Landford Trees Trees 234.21 41.00 275.21 1292
Mr P Reynolds Audit fee 300.00 300.00 1293
Audit Commission Audit fee 250.00 43.75 293.75 1294
TVBC Dog bin emptying 667.68 116.84 784.52 1295
TV Vol Transport Grant 400.00 400.00 1296
HCC Street lighting 186.16 32.58 218.74 1297
Scouts Grant 178.00 178.00 1298
Total 2903.47 234.17 3137.64

11. To consider responses to Hampshire County Council’s Countryside Access consultation

11.1 HCC was preparing a series of countryside access plans as part of a rights of way improvement plan and Members provided a consensus response to those questions calling for an opinion.

12. To determine, as appropriate, the need for a new notice board in the Village centre

12.1 The PCC had requested that consideration be given to the provision of a new notice board in the Village centre to reduce the number of non-church notices being displayed on the board by the Church entrance. Members were sympathetic to the request but deferred any decision until the new bus shelter was approved when the shelter itself might make a suitable venue for a new board. It was agreed that any new board should be of wood rather than metal and that it should be inscribed ‘King’s Somborne Parish Council’. It was also agreed that retrospective action be taken to inscribe the four notice board erected during the last five years in the same way.Action: Clerk

13. To review the policy and provision of roadside mirrors on the A3057

13.1 The Clerk reported he was still receiving concerned comments from local residents about the dangers to drivers of blind corners and junctions but he had received confirmation from Hampshire Highways that it was not policy to install road side mirrors on Highways land because of the risk of diverting drivers’ attention; this view was also supported by the Police. However, Hampshire Highways would continue to monitor roads through the Village and keep matters under review.

14. To receive reports from Members on external meetings at which they had represented the Parish Council or have attended in any other capacity

14.1 No reports were tabled.

To review the policy and provision of roadside mirrors on the A3057
15. Parish Plan

15.1 No reports were tabled.

16. Clerk’s Report

16.1 Church yard trees. Work would take place to pollard and prune the Church yard trees later in the week. Cllr Pearson and the Tree Warden undertook to rer-examine the tall Cypress type tree that had been a previous cause of concern.

Action: Cllr Pearson

16.2 Trim trial. The application for external funding had been submitted and Scheduled Monument consent had been received.

16.3 Village Hall Development Committee. The Clerk updated Members on the progress of the Development Committee. A structural engineer’s report on the state of the building had been received and a health and safety assessment was awaited. The Development Committee would meet later in the month to consider these reports.

16.4 Scouts. The local Scout troop had requested a grant to help meet the repair costs for broken hut windows and to hold a car boot sale at the recreation ground on a date in March. It was agreed that a car boot sale could be organised subject to certain conditions being met.Action: Clerk to write accordingly

16.5 Proposed Cllr Lane, Seconded Cllr Dyke, RESOLVED with Cllr Pearson against that £178 be granted to the Scout Troop as a contribution towards their hut window replacement costs.

16.6 Ground water flooding. There had been reports in the local press about the risk of ground floods in King’s Somborne and it was confirmed that the Environment Agency monitored the situation daily. The Borough Council also had an Action Plan for dealing with such an emergency.

17. Highway Matters

17.1 Romsey Road drains. No action had been taken as yet by Hampshire Highways to clear the Village drains.

Action: Chairman and Clerk to follow up

17.2 A lack of ‘Ford’ warning signs from the Romsey Road direction towards Winchester Road was reported.

Action: Clerk to check

18. Test Valley Borough Council Matters

18.1 No matters were reported.

19. Recreational Facilities and Cemetery

19.1 It was agreed that the Jubilee seat in Up Somborne recreation ground was beyond economic repair.

Action: Clerk to obtain replacement costs

20. Date, Time and Place of Next Meeting

20.1 The next meeting of the Parish Council would be on Monday 5 March 2007 at 7.00pm in the Epworth Hall, King’s Somborne.

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the Meeting at 8.30pm Clerk to the Council