Parish Council

Minutes Parish Council Jan 2008


Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting

held in the Epworth Hall, King’s Somborne

commencing at 7.00pm on Monday 7 January 2008


Cllr D Bidwell (Chairman)

Cllr R Bevan

Cllr R Dyke

Cllr R Harwood

Cllr R Lane

Cllr G Pearson

Cllr R Pidgeon

Cllr D Room

Cllr J Werrett

In Attendance: Mr P J Storey (Clerk to King’s Somborne Parish Council)

Public Session

Borough Councillor A Ward and Footpath Warden Dr Stephen Rake were present.

1. Announcements by the Chairman

1.1. No announcements were made.

2. To receive reports from Tree Warden, Footpath Warden and other Volunteers

2.1 The Footpath Warden reported on another successful walk with 19 people attending and briefed that a new kissing gate had been installed on Footpath 7 by Hampshire County Council. A new permanent location is required for the Parish Council owned kissing gate.

Action: Clerk

3. To consider Test Valley Borough Council matters of interest to the Parish

3.1 Cllr Ward highlighted the current system whereby developers’ contributions were paid to the Borough Council and subsequently the Leisure Department considered using these funds to support known and suitable parish leisure projects. If none existed the monies should then pass to the Parish Council. Cllr Ward would investigate this further and the Parish Council would identify suitable parish leisure projects at its next meeting which could then be used to claim benefit from these contributions.

Action: Clerk to place on February meeting agenda

3.2 Cllr Ward also commented on the 20 year development plan being drafted by the Borough Council and the roadshows to be held to publicise it. Note was made to have commented included in the plan on the unsuitability of the present A3057 if it was expected to cope with increased traffic.

4. Apologies for Absence

4.1 Apologies had been received from Cllr Fahy and the Village Correspondent.

5. To approve the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 5 November and the Minutes of the Annual Finance Meeting held on 3 December 2007

5.1 Proposed Cllr Bidwell, Seconded Cllr Lane, RESOLVED unanimously that the minutes of the meeting held on 5 November 2007 with minor amendment be accepted as a true record.

5.2 Proposed Cllr Bidwell, Seconded Cllr Lane, RESOLVED unanimously that the minutes of the Finance meeting held on 3 December 2007 be accepted as a true record.

6. To consider any Matters Arising from those minutes

6.1 re para 21.2 The Clerk would obtain estimates of cost for replacing the ‘Okanagan’ fencing with 4ft high chain link as agreed with the adjacent landowner.

Action: Clerk

6.2 re para 21.4 A representative from the Hampshire Air Ambulance Service have accepted an invitation to give a presentation on the Service at the Annual Parish Assembly.

Action: Clerk to arrange.

7. Declarations of Interest

7.1 There were no declarations of interest.

8. To consider Correspondence Received and determine any action required

8.1 Details of correspondence received since the last meeting had been circulated with the agenda papers; the actual correspondence was available at the meeting for Members to peruse, as required. The Clerk drew attention to correspondence received since circulation of the meeting papers. It was agreed that an actual Police presence would be very welcome at meetings to amplify the information contained in the crime summary sheets.

Action: Clerk to contact Police.

9. To receive reports on Planning Applications received and determined

9.1 The following responses had been made to recent planning applications received:

* 07/03055/Trees – Clausentum Danes, Winchester Road – prune two Yew and one Ash – no objection.

* 07/03106/Fulls – 29 Humbers View – two storey side extension to provide garage and additional living and bedroom accommodation – no objection.

* 07/03195/Fulls and 07/03197/Fulls – Barn adjoining Hayes, Romsey Road – restoration and adaptation to form single dwelling – no objection.

* 07/03236/Fulls – Brook Barn, Romsey Road – addition of three dormer windows, alterations to other windows and doors , conversion of attached garage and provision of covered link – no objection.

* 07/03257/AGNS – land at Eldon Edge, Eldon Road – erection of storage shed – no objection.

* 07/03354/Fulls – Dapples, Winchester Road – removal of pergola and erection of conservatory – no objection.

* 07/03461/Trees – The Old Vicarage, Old Vicarage Lane – fell one twin-stemmed Sycamore – no objection.

10. To receive RFO’s Report and Budget Monitoring

10.1 The RFO reported that the Internal Auditor would visit on 18 January 2008 to audit the first nine months of the financial year and that the Audit Commission had now signed off the accounts for the year ended 31 March 2007. An analysis of expenditure against budget had been circulated with the agenda papers and the RFO confirmed that the council’s bank balances stood at £47581.12 after deducting the £9555 external grant towards the installation costs of the Trim Trail. Members noted these matters.

11. To approve Payment of Accounts

11.1 Proposed Cllr Bevan, Seconded Cllr Pidgeon, with Cllr Dyke abstaining (personal), that the following accounts be approved for payment:






Chq No

Mr P Storey


Bishopstoke PC

Mr Rebbeck

Fields in Trust

Mr J Rolfe

M J Ellis Manuf

Wicksteed Leisure

Cllr R Dyke




Shared costs/subs

Grounds maint

Annual sub

Grass cut

Seat repairs

Swing repairs



































12. To consider changes to the one way entrance to the King’s Somborne recreation ground

12.1 This item was deferred until a later date when the impact of the proposed AWD garage site development could be assessed.

13. To consider and, if appropriate, adopt the terms of the maintenance agreement with Test Valley Borough Council for the speed limit reminder sign, together with the associated cost

13.1 The Clerk drew Members’ attention to the terms of the maintenance agreement drawn up by TVBC and Cllr Werrett for the speed limit reminder (SLR) sign and recommended acceptance subject to further inclusion of terms of settlement if/when the agreement was terminated before expiry of the annual fee which would be payable in advance. Under the agreement, TVBC would erect the necessary poles for the sign, rotate it on a 2 to 4 weekly basis, ensure the batteries were properly recharged and generally maintain the sign as fit for purpose. The Parish Council would be responsible for its insurance. Cllr Werrett would liaise with TVBC on suitable siting for the poles. The Clerk would confirm acceptance formally to TVBC.

Action: Cllr Werrett and Clerk

13.2 Proposed Cllr Werrett, Seconded Cllr Harwood, RESOLVED unanimously that the draft terms of the maintenance agreement between TVBC and the Parish Council for the SLR sign be agreed with minor modification.

14. To approve the purchase of an additional bracket set at £150 plus VAT for the Speed Limit Reminder sign

14.1 Proposed Harwood, Seconded Cllr Bevan, RESOLVED unanimously that an additional bracket set be purchased at a cost of £150 plus VAT to facilitate the relocation of the SLR sign.

15. To receive reports from Members on external meetings they have attended or have attended in any other capacity

15.1 Cllrs Bevan and Dyke reported on the Affordable Housing seminar they had attended and confirmed that the Parish Council’s interest in providing more affordable housing within the community had been noted.

16. To receive Councillors’ reports, as appropriate, on actions taken including the Parish Plan

16.1 No reports were tabled.

17. To receive the Clerk’s monthly report

17.1 Churchyard tree. Following on-site visits by both TVBC and local specialists, the Clerk had been advised that the tall tree adjacent to the dividing wall between the Church and the School did not pose a significant risk.

17.2 War Graves maintenance. The Clerk had noted that the War Graves Commission had fallen into arrears in the payment of the £6 per annum per War Grave due as a contribution towards the Cemetery maintenance costs; this would now be made good.

17.3 Trim trail opening. Installation should take place later this month following which thought should be given to the format of the official opening. To get maximum press and TV coverage, it was thought appropriate to invite a personality from BBC South Today to ‘cut the tape’, together with the local press and doctors. The Clerk would liaise with Mr Brook-Webb accordingly.

Action: Clerk

17.4 Pay increment. The Clerk’s contractual right to an incremental pay award was recognised.

17.5 Allotments. No reply had yet been received to the letter sent to Dreweatt Neate last November on the state of the allotment area. A reply had been hastened but, in the meantime, Cllr Pidgeon expressed his view that the state of the allotments should not be a matter of concern to the Parish Council.

17.5 Proposed Cllr Harwood, Seconded Cllr Bevan, RESOLVED unanimously that the Clerk’s Report be accepted.

18. To consider Environmental matters of interest to the Parish

18.1 Cllr Harwood confirmed that an article on recycling had been submitted to The Gauntlet magazine and that the need remained to keep awareness of environmental matters in the forefront of people’s minds. Some discussion then took place on the possibility of identifying those consumers who did not use the recycling facilities provided and Cllr Ward undertook to investigate this from a Borough Council point of view.

Action: Cllr Ward

18.2 Members were encouraged to pass any ideas they might have on generating further awareness to Cllr Harwood for further consideration.

Action: All

19. To consider Highway matters of interest to the Parish

19.1 Cllr Pearson identified a number of surplus signs on the local roads which HCC/TVBC were not removing and Cllr Bevan highlighted the poor state of the road surface from the Eldon Road/Furzedown Road junction towards Braishfield. Cllr Werrett would bring these matters to the attention of HCC at their next meeting.

Action: Cllr Werrett

20. To receive reports on the Parish recreational facilities and Cemetery

20.1 Cllr Pidgeon reported that the Youth Club had ceased to exist and that the Cemetery was neat and tidy for the time of year. He then volunteered to liaise between the Parish Council and the School on matters of mutual interest.

20.2 Cllr Bevan expressed concern at the development of ‘footpaths’ across the 3 Fields site which, in time, could give rise to a legal right of passage and recommended the grass be kept short to prevent marked paths from developing. This was noted. He also thought there might be a need for more dog bins around the Trim Trail as dog walkers were now using this as a preferred walking route. This would be considered further once the Trail was operational.

21. Date, time and place of next meeting

21.1 The next meeting would be held on Monday 4 February 2008 at 7.00pm in the Epworth Hall, King’s Somborne

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the Meeting at 8.40pm

Clerk to the Council